2008 – Gwyneth as underage Chinese gymnast. Jenni as The Stimulus Package (I can only take credit for the concept of this, not the awesome execution.)
2009 – Gwyneth as Hamlet telling people “To be or not to be, that’s the question!”
2010 – Gwyneth glorious as Marie Antoinette saying “Let them eat cake,” and “I lost my head!” Me in a black suit with pearls and a nametag that says “Hello, I’m YOU.” (Christine O’Donnell)
So here are our thoughts on 2011. Vote for your favorite. Seriously!
1) Gwyneth as Scarlet O’Hara in Twelve Oaks Picnic dress. Jefferson in a carseat decorated as the Jefferson Memorial. Truman in a carseat decorated as a television set that says The Truman Show.
2) Alice in Wonderland theme: Gwynne goes as Alice, I go as the queen of hearts, Kent goes as the Mad Hatter and the boys go as Tweedle Dee and Dum. This theme was way overdone a couple years ago with the new movie, but I’m willing to consider it.
3) Chiefs: Jefferson goes as Thomas Jefferson and Truman goes as Harry Truman. The trouble here is finding/making recognizable outfits. Round glasses and a suit for Tru, nickers and some kind of wig for Jeffers.
4) Each other: Jefferson goes as Truman, Truman goes as Jefferson. Basically, they wear one of each other’s monogrammed outfits. Maybe we could get Truman to grunt and whine the whole night….
5) Non-astronauts: They wear one white infant astronaut costume and one orange infant astronaut jumpsuit and I make some kind of red banner or badge for them that says “CANCELLED: Future Non-astronaut” I like this because it is topical and witty like when Gwyneth was an underage Chinese gymnast, but many people would not get it.
Other suggestions? Ketchup and Mustard? Sushi and Soy Sauce? Totally overdone themes we will not even consider: two peas in a pod, Thing One and Thing Two, any characters from the Wizard of Oz.