Fact 1: You are not supposed to iron cheap polyester costumes. It says so in all caps on the tag. The iron can melt and destroy the fibers.
Fact 2: You have to iron cheap polyester costumes. There is no getting around it. If they’ve been crammed into a plastic bag, only the iron will get the wrinkles out. Steaming makes not the slightest impression. Soaking the whole costume and drying flat results in an almost undetectable weakening of the wrinkles. Complete waste of time. Pressing (ironing through a cloth) does little. You have to iron them.
You must turn the iron on the low/delicate setting for sure, but the most important thing is to keep the iron moving, fast. Don’t iron over the same place while it’s still warm. Iron once. Wait for it to cool. Iron again.
Some ironing and pinning was all did for the dress and the boys costumes this year. I had thought about purchasing better hats, but I didn’t feel like spending another $35 for nice felt ones from Target. I had intended to fit Fluffy’s dress and sew it as I have in years past, but I couldn’t find my thread! Maybe it’s in storage? Maybe I should have looked for it earlier than the day she needed it? Oh well.
Instead, I spent most of my time making a Glinda crown.
Step One: Purchase plastic cutting mats or folders from the dollar store. I needed two folders. If they had carried the cutting mats, those might have been preferable.
Step Two: Cut off the zipper and anything else keeping as much of the plastic uncut as possible.
Step Three: Create a template from posterboard. Wrap the posterboard around the child’s head and mark or tape it for fit. Be sure to create a slightly conical shape so that the top of the crown is wider than the part which sits on the head. Unroll.
I freehanded the cutting of this one. Note the semi-circular shape of the template and the flared ends that create the wider top. Also, it turns out Glinda’s crown doesn’t have stars, but rather fleur-de-lis-type bursts at the top. I freehanded those when I traced the template onto the plastic.
Step Four: Hot glue two folders together with a 1/2 to 3/4 inch overlap. Trace the template onto the plastic using a marker. Cut out. Be sure to leave an overlap allowance at the sides for closing later.
NOTE: I wish I had first glued thin pink tissue paper to the back of the folders with Elmers and a paint brush, and then cut out the pattern. At Fluffy’s request, I added the tissue paper retro-actively, which proved very difficult.
Step Five: Using a paint brush, Elmers and glitter, glitter the top and bottom of the crown. I later added the stripes of glitter mostly to cover the seam which I put through one of the flowerets. It’s not exactly like Glinda’s crown. If I’ve learned anything from the Disneystore princess costumes, though, it’s not to adhere too slavishly to the original.
Step Six: Start gluing on the gem pattern. It works best if you do all in one direction, then the next perpendicular, then fill in between.
Step Seven: Create sprays of gem stickers out from the center design. I also added glittered foam stars. These were very helpful as they provided places to grab the crown without hurting anything.
Step Eight: Hot glue the ends of the crown together with a 1/2 to 3/4 inch overlap.
NOTE: I thought I was done, but Fluffy thought it wasn’t pink enough, so I very carefully added a lining of pink tissue paper to the inside using Elmers and a paint brush. The result was a lovely translucent pink crown. Fluffy was right that it looked better this way. Just wish I’d used a nice flat piece of new tissue paper and lined it before I cut it out.
The most awesome part of the most awesome Halloween party ever was the Mad Scientist who did legit experiments for the kids for hours. Fluffy hardly wanted to leave.
Seriously, this Halloween party will never be topped. Thanks to everyone who was involved for the insane amount of work and creativity that must have gone into it.