Fluffernutter’s Cleopatra costume came today, and I have to admit that although cliched, it is very beautiful.
That’s what I’m hoping to be able to say about her birthday party as well because she has requested a Fairy theme this year. Fortunately, she wants no characters, no Tinkerbell. She wants beautiful fairies and maybe butterflies and woodsy stuff.
Her other 6 birthday parties have been held at Cox Farms, and although I gave her every possible option this year, she is super psyched to spend another birthday at the cheesiest place on earth. And so am I.
I am not super psyched about planning this party. Usually I go NUTS for party planning. What could be wrong with me this year? Could it be:
1. I’ve done too many parties and gotten bored of the whole thing,
2. I don’t want to spend any money on a party that could be spent on my house, or
3. I’m working a lot more, so I’m too busy to devote the time and energy this project needs to make it great. If it’s not going to be great, why even bother?
There’s maybe a kernel of truth in 2 and a morsel of truth in 3, but really it’s more like
4. Fluffernutterbutter and her set are finally old enough that we can invite just her girlfriends to Cox Farms instead of taking families to watch their own kids.
Why should that make any difference? Isn’t the 7 year-old set the prime demographic for fairytopia? Well, yes. But the fact that the adults aren’t going to be there is making me think for the first time that perhaps, just maybe, the elaborate lengths I went to for Fluffy’s first 6 parties had a secondary motivation. Maybe I wasn’t so much trying to please the Fluffy one as I was trying to impress her friend’s parents.
And maybe, just maybe, I knew that all along. And not just because I’m excrutiatingly self-aware. We all know that’s the root of elaborate kid birthday parties, right? Does your 4 year-old care whether the waterbottles have designer printable labels on them? Most likely not. I should keep it real by saying that Fluffy does love a good-looking party. She and I are two peas in a design/decorating/fashion/pastry making pod in that we both love that kind of stuff. But, yeah, she would have been 95% as pleased with 40% of what I’ve done for her parties. The other 60% is for a different audience. Fashion is about women dressing to impress other women, and kid’s birthday parties are about moms trying to impress other moms.
So am I going to phone in the FairyParty and let Cox Farms do the heavy lifting of entertaining and beguiling the party guests? Of course not!! Fluffy cares more about the look of her party this year than she ever has before, and I care about her.
Besides, there’s always the slim chance that the girls will go home and tell their parents what a fabulous party I threw.